Roscoff is a tranquil fishing village in beautiful west Brittany with good toll-free roads to all parts of Brittany, or further south into west France.
Roscoff since the opening of the deep-water port in 1973 is a main ferry terminal for Plymouth, Cork and Portsmouth crossings with the traditional trading links between the Celtic nations of Brittany, Ireland and southwest England.
Roscoff has long
been a significant port since Mary Queen of Scots landed in 1548
on her way to Paris to be engaged to François, the son and
heir of Henri II of France. Bonnie Prince Charlie also landed in
1746 after his defeat at Culloden.
Roscoff is still
a small resort with the rue Gambetta and the old
port being the central areas of activity with the rest of
Roscoff being quieter and popular for retirement homes but still
retains its original character.
The sixteenth century
church, Notre-Dame-de-Croas-Batz , at the far end
of rue Gambetta, has an ornate Renaissance belfry,
complete with sculpted ships and stone cannon.
beach is at Laber, surrounded by expensive hotels
The old harbour
is popular and other than the fishing commerce tourist trips to the Island Île
de Batz (are another source of income).
The Pointe de Bloscon and the fishermen's white chapel, the Chapelle Ste-Barbe.